Green Thumb Noob

I've never been a green thumb. Lots of plants have died because of my neglect. Except for two plants that have survived the times, which are now also dead after we got our yard all cemented. I wasn't able to save the only plant survivors from my lonely garden. 

I love plants. But it's just so hard for me to tend gardens. Especially, managing the growth of weeds everywhere. But ironically, after there were no more soil in our yard to grow plants, I suddenly have the love to grow plants. Thank God for pots, I can still have plants around minus the annoying weeds.

The photo above are lavender and ryegrass grown from seeds. The seed pot kits I bought are complete with seeds, pots and vermiculite soil. It's actually not a soil. Anyway, I planted them last December and look how tiny the lavenders still are up to now after 6 weeks I planted them. But growers say lavenders are really hard to germinate and slow growers. Out of maybe 100 seeds, I got only 4 seedlings! To think, it's even grown especially from vermiculite. Btw, the other one there, I'm not sure if it's a real lavender. Haha!

The ryegrass are well, they are grass so they grow fast. You get shoots out of the soil in just 3 days. 

And then, last December also, I bought a succulent from Market Market when I happened to pass by. Near the al fresco foodcourt, there's an area where you can buy flowers and plants. My succulent was a sedum pachyphyllum or common name, silver jelly beans. But yah I'm a noob so even a low maintenance plant as a succulent died in my hands. Yaiks! I don't think I have a photo of my actual plant when it's still intact. But it looks like this.
silver jelly bean
photo from chubbytree.com
Either I did something wrong when I was transferring the plant to a different pot or I overwatered it. Good thing, I was able to salvage the leaves before it completely died. Thank God for world wide web, I learned from succulent enthusiasts that you can propagate succulents from its leaves! So here now is my succulent propagation project.
In more than a week, roots started to come out from some leaves. And now, the other leaves are starting to have buds come out. I started this propagation last Jan. 1 so it's now 2 weeks and 3 days. 


And here are leaves from the echeveria I stashed from a bouquet centerpiece in a wedding that I attended last December also. 

 I don't see any roots coming out from the plucked echeveria leaves but there are like pinkish buds trying to come out from the ends of the leaves. Hope this works. I'll update you in this project. So far, it's been exciting. I would need to look for cactus or succulent soil and cute pots soon.

Have a great day lovelies!

Comments