My Birthmonth Series #2: Makeup Mistakes That Age You

The first part of this series is about clothing styles that make you look older. If you want to see my first blogpost in this series, visit this link:

My Birthmonth Series: 8 Clothing Styles That Make You Look Older And The Solution

Now, let's talk about makeup mistakes that make you look older. I hate to bring you there and keep you hanging so of course we will also know how to fix those errors. I admit that I myself have made adjustments how I do my makeup over the past years. And every time I look at my past photos, I cringe when I see how bad my hair looked or how lifeless my face looks like. So let's learn together!

1. Foundation that doesn't match your skin color. Too light-looks like your head is floating and lifeless. Too dark-doesn't highlight your features and drags down and heavy. Both appearance age you. So pick a color that is closest to your skin color. Not too light and not too dark. It would even be helpful if you dab a little foundation on your cheek down to your jawline and have a friend see it outside in natural light.
image not mine
Also, be careful when putting concealer or foundation at the bottom of your eyes. Skin on this part of the face is delicate. So the more makeup we apply on it, the more it looks saggy and dry. Keep foundation or concealer lighter on this part. 

2. Eyebrows that's either too thin or overdone. When it comes to eyebrows, thickness is a sign of youthfulness. The more one-lined your brow is, the more aging it is. 

Look at Adele's photos below. She looks younger on the second pic where she has thicker brows when actually this was pictured later than the first pic. Also an overdone - over-plucked, over-arched, over-dramatic, literally overdone, eyebrow is aging. Always go for softer (arch and hue), more-natural looking brows. Adele's eyebrows in the second photo is an example of perfect brows. I think I'd like to make a separate post just about eyebrows heehee.
image not mine
3. Lipstick that is too dark. There is something in dark lipsticks that make someone look matured. So if you're "advanced in age" then dark lipsticks should be avoided. It doesn't mean though that you can't wear deep or wine reds that is so popular today. Just stay away from a heavier texture and matte that looks flat on your lips. A bit of lip gloss helps in any kind of lipstick to make your lips look plump and youthful. I personally have dark lip problems and I thought I couldn't wear nude lipsticks. I envied women who could sport natural looking makeup. I went to the beauty section and tried out nude lipliners and lipsticks and found the look I wanted. The answer to dark lips is lipliners to cover dark lips and be able to wear nude or natural-looking lipsticks.
image not mine
image not mine

4. Wrong blush applied too low on the face. When choosing a blush color, pinch your cheeks (just a little) and try a blush that blends well to the apple of your cheeks. Putting the blush at the bottom of your cheekbone will drag your face down. Apply color at the height of your cheek and brush up and back to define and lift your features. Avoid brown hue that looks muddy and worse looks like you've been punched on your cheeks.
image not mine

All in all, I think to achieve a younger look, the key is to be subtle in our makeup. Some women tend to go overboard in doing makeup to hide the flaws but ends up looking older or cheapish. And when I see older women trying hard to look younger by overdoing their makeup, I feel like I want to call them to the powder room and redo their makeup.

I noticed that JLo has a varying makeup look in every event or shows so I chose to compare two of her photos. On the first one, you'll see her with overdone makeup and the second with a subtle, more natural-looking makeup. Just to let you see how aging overdone makeup is.

image not mine
image not mine
So that's it! I'm still thinking of another part to add to this birthmonth series.
Have a great day lovelies!


Comments