Lost My Temper For A Lost Pencil

How can a parent lose his or her temper for a trivial thing such as a child losing his pencil? And I felt so frustrated at myself that I got mad at my son....again...Shouting and nagging.

It's only been two weeks since my son had his school ID. I'm sure I didn't forget to remind him, almost everyday to take care of his ID and not to play with it. I was afraid it won't last just when he was in Grade 1. Now, he came home Thursday and the hook is broken. The school bus driver just fixed it. Friday afternoon, the ID was lost and nowhere to be found.

His books and notebooks look like it's the end of school year already. It's only been two months. Book pages are earmarked and torn. His notebooks are detached from the covers. The thicker plastic covering that I used looked useless.

If I want to spoil my son I would've bought and marked new pencils with his name every two days. When he loses his pencil, he comes home with a used, bitten, old pencil maybe from his teacher or classmate. And it looks like he doesn't care if he's using a pencil with bites all over. But I pity him and buy a new one. And sometimes I tell him I won't buy him a new one anymore if he loses his pencil again. And I don't know how many times we've told him to take care of his things coz we just dont take them from the stores but we buy and pay for them. When he's in grade 1, his dad even tied his pencil to his shorts, but it's useless.

Bitten old pencil
We did an exercise once. I let him get his pencil from his bag like when he's in school. I let him use his pencil, write on a paper. And after he used it he needs to put it back inside his bag at once. We repeated the exercise until he can do all of it automatically. After two weeks, he lost it again.

It's easier when he breaks a toy. The discipline is to take that toy away for a period of time. Or when it's totally broken, we don't easily buy him that toy or even a new one. But if it's something that he needs for school, how do you teach your child to take care of his things other than busting his butt? (even that was useless.) I want to think that reminding him everyday is enough. But I've been in this situation before and I'm here once again, mad and frustrated for being mad.

My son is 7. I don't think he'll get all of the things we try to teach him at once. But I don't think he's also too young to understand. When I'm more understanding, I get that it's his personality. Coz my 4 year old could keep his things tucked good in his bag. I know I need to be patient until he learns how to be responsible and value his things. But how?

Please tell me how you did it.




 

 

 

 

Comments