Successful Potty Training

We were on and off for one and a half year in potty training my youngest son, Winter. We started when he was 2 and a 1/2 and he was completely potty trained after he turned 4. Been wanting to share my experience to you but I'm holding it until I saw that we're totally successful :)

When you want to start potty training your child, these tips from my mommy internship might help.

1. See if your child is ready.
There's no exact age to tell if your child is ready for potty training. It varies but I've read that girls learn earlier than boys. You'll know if he's ready when he tells it when he wants to pee or make poop. And also when he knows how to hold it.

2. Buy him a potty trainer seat.
There's also a toddler toilet seat that you could attach on top of your toilet when your child wants to go. He'll be alienated to the potty trainer or the seat at first. But make him acquainted by letting him sit on it even if he doesn't want to make pee. You know when he wants to go coz he probably shows signs that tell you. When he shows the signs of wanting to make wee-wee or poop, usher him gently to the potty seat.

3. Have a regular potty time.
Make him seat on the potty every day at the same time. Ideal is every morning.

My son has constipation problems when he's smaller that's why potty training was harder. We can't have a regular potty time. But if your child has normal bowel movement then try to.

4. Lifting
This technique was shared to me by a mom of my son's classmate.

After being diaper-free during daytime, you wish to also be the same overnights.

First, provided you let your child use the toilet before going to sleep, observe what time he usually wets his diaper while asleep. My son does it at around 12 midnight. The next night, I lifted him up at 12 MN, let him pee in the toilet and put his diaper back on. I checked in the morning if his diaper is wet and it's not. I did this for four days. Then the next night, I didn't put his diaper back on after lifting him up to the toilet. He didn't wet the bed for the first time :) I did this for a week and at some nights my son shows signs that he wants to pee before I made him pee at midnight like he squirms on the bed. Then weeks later, I just noticed he doesn't have the urge to pee at midnight anymore. He stays dry over night which is a great victory. Still keep the diaper ready just for extra cold nights or when he has drank lots of liquids before bedtime.

Expect that your son will cry and whine when you lift him out of the bed. But it's worth the sacrifice when you enjoy sleeping on dry and fresh-smelling sheets every night.




Comments