Homeschooling Not

We were on and off in our decision to homeschool Zach or go to a regular school. But we've finally decided after a year of contemplation to enroll him to a regular school.

The thought of me being his teacher in a homeschooling set-up is great. We like the idea that I and his daddy would be his major influence aside from the children's ministry every Sunday. He doesn't have to go through the stress of going to school everyday then do some more assignments at home. The money we save from school bus and uniform expenses will be spent for family field trips and bondings. He could also engage in other activities that interests him like painting or sports to encourage socialization. He'll learn independence together with forming good study habits.

There's been bickering with getting him started and getting him focused almost all the time with our Kumon study sessions. How much more when we go homeschooling with not only one but several subjects to tackle. Not to mention the chores and another high-spirited 2-yr old boy to look after to. We didn't enroll him to Kumon starting this April coz there's been lots of crying and impatience from both of us.

As I talked to several mothers whose children are going to regular school, I realized that the school is a training ground for more pressures of work and adult life. Coz he needs to face the world eventually when he grows older.

Honestly, I'm quite sad that I won't be able to homeschool my son. Recently, in our church's Geographic Region Family Day, I had an unexpected talk with a homeschooling mom and she understood how hard it would be for our situation. I'm thankful for that talk relieved my feelings of guilt of selfishness.

Homeschooling is really ideal especially for kids with stay-at-home-moms. So if you just can, consider homeschooling your kids.

Comments