Women of the Bible - Hagar

Hagar is an Egyptian name which may mean "fugitive" or "immigrant."

Hagar became a slave of Abraham and Sarah til the time they left Egypt. Hagar had no choice but to leave her own homeland. As a female slave, she was alone, with no rights and no one to defend her. She must have proven herself trustworthy to become the maidservant of Sarah and a concubine of Abraham. Sarah starts to mistreat her, perhaps out of jealousy. Hagar went away to the desert, not a smart move for her. She shortly went back when she heard the angel's voice telling her that she's pregnant. She felt like a fresh spring in her heart as she heard the voice. The angel told her to name her son Ishmael which means "God hears." And she called God, "You are the God who sees me." Everytime she holds her son close or worries about his future, she would remember how God heard and saved her in the desert. She would remember that God is near, listening to her cry.

Years later, she found herself again, in a desperate situation in the desert. This time, her masters expelled them out of their home. Dying from thirst, she put Ishmael under the bush, walked away and sat nearby coz she can't watch her son die.

"God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, "What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation."
Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. So she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink." - Genesis 21:17-19

I'm grateful that I live in this generation where slavery is not a comon practice. But like Hagar, I felt desperate in life at times. It's like even the person whom I expect to understand me, could not. It's so easy to talk it out with my sisters (biological and sisters in church). And a common need is to look for physical touch of the friends in our life. But times do not always permit to be with them, I feel alone and helpless. But God is always near. Just like how he saved Hagar and Ishmael in the wilderness. It teaches me to rely on God and learn of the sanctuary of his presence by pouring out my heart to Him. Through prayer I can hear his voice, opens up my eyes to answers to my questions and lightens my spirit.

Are you wandering in wilderness right now? Desperate and defenseless?

Just like Hagar, God will open your eyes to a "well" to sustain you and give you a way out of your situation.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety. - Psalm 4:8

My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life. - Psalm 119:50

Comments