Women of the Bible - Sarah

The name Sarah means "Chieftainness" or "Princess".

During her time, names had a significance more than they have today. Sarah was barren in most part of her life. Can you imagine being pregnant and having a child at the age of 90 and your husband 100? And she said,
"God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." - Genesis 21:6

I would probably have also laughed if God tells me I'm going to have a child after 90 years. Because for me, it is impossible. And so Sarah named her son, Isaac, which means "he laughs."

Rachel in great pain and knowing she was dying, named her son Ben-oni, "son of my trouble." But Jacob the loving father that he was, renamed him Benjamin, "son of my right hand." (Genesis 35:16-20) Perhaps, Jacob understood that the name his son bears might make the plot of his future forever.

Throughout the Bible, you will notice that the names that God gives his people puts significance and worth to him.
Subconsciously though, we have somehow adapted God's character, naming our kids of good meaning and significance to our life.

Virgil Zachary
Virgil - derived from hubby's dad's name Virgilio. Virgil alone means strong.
Zachary - remembered by God

Winter Gabriel
Winter - from his dad's name, interchanged Erwin and put "T" in the middle
Gabriel - We chose this name coz this is the name of the angel that God sent for Mary to tell that she’s going to bear a child and that is Jesus. It means God is my strength.

I was surprised that both of my sons' names connotes strength. No wonder they are energetic kids.

I only found out now that the meaning of my name, Jonalyn, is lucky angel. How sweet to hear that.

Do you know the meaning of your name? How do you feel about it?

No matter what your name is, God knows it. He calls to us by our name.

But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
- Isaiah 43:1


Comments