All About Eve

As I have mentioned last time, I will be sharing with you my journey with the book "Women of the Bible." I learned that March is Women's Month so I became more eager to know that my series of this book here in my blog is so timely.

Of course, let's start with the very first woman in the world, Eve.

As we all know, she's the "mother of all the living" (Genesis 3:20). Her name means "life-giving." But we also know that she was the first one to disobey God by eating the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. She had everything she needed in Paradise. Imagine the setting....abundant food, fresh air, flowing water, best weather that doesn't dry her skin. And of course, Adam, the best man in her eyes. I can't imagine how good-looking he was coz in the bible it says "God created man in his own image..." (Genesis 1:27). So for me, it was a big WHY?

This is one of the saddest stories in the bible. And this is the history of man. Maybe it's not the first time that the serpent tempted Eve and lastly worn her down that's why she fell. If I would become Eve, would I have done the same? I don't know. I've committed mistakes in my life too because of my selfishness. I decided to stop blaming her coz who am I to judge her? I decided to be grateful for her, realizing that she's also my mother.

She was the first one who experienced all the firsts.
She was the first woman to conceive a child. How did she cope with the events of her first trimester? How did she go about the changes that's happening to her own body? Can you imagine yourself in her shoes, giving birth without the help of a doctor, midwife or even another woman to at least guide her? I felt a bond with Eve when I thought of childbearing. All the mothers throughout the centuries share this common bond. The pain of labor (in my case it's more of emotional pain of fear and nervousness because of my heart disease) which is an earthly experience, of Eve herself - "with pain you will give birth to children..."(Genesis 3:16). But after that, the bond between you and your baby, is unearthly. Something that only God could create.

We also know that Cain, her first son became the first murderer and Abel, her second son, the victim. I couldn't imagine myself in a situation like this. Sadness filled her life. Yet God lifted her up with a promise. She gave birth to her third son, Seth. God's grace restored Eve. She still won over the serpent.

When you're at your lowest today, remember God's promise of grace for Eve and for all of us.


But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 5:20-21



Happy Women's Month!

Tell me what you think.

Comments