MM: For Moms From A Mom

mommy momentsI can't call myself an expert mom. Actually I have lots of things to learn and lots
of things to change. Kumbaga, marami pa kong bigas na sasaingin at kanin na kakainin sa pagiging isang mommy.

As someone at lost sometimes in mothering, I find the Bible as the best adviser. It's God's word so there's nothing best than it is. This is what I always remind myself:

Deuteronomy6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
I grew up having fear in the Lord. The kind of fear that made me feel that God is so big and  so far. He's there somewhere looking upon me and punish me when I did something wrong.  That's not the kind of fear that I want my children to have for God. I want them to know who God is and to learn to love Him. That God is a merciful and loving God and He wants us to love him back. 
When we wake up in the morning we can tell our kids that God made it possible for us to wake up and see another sunshine to give us light all throughout the day. And when we eat or before we sleep we can teach them to thank God in prayer. 

Those scriptures we have on our walls, those are not just decorations. Those are reminders and we need to talk about them with our kids.
Proverbs3:3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
       bind them around your neck,
       write them on the tablet of your heart.

This scripture never fails to work. I know how tired we can be with lots of housework and taking care of our family's needs. Or go home tired and stressed form work. And then we snap when our kids disobey us. We snap when they can't understand their lessons after explaining for how many times. I can't blame you. We're human. I did it so many times.  
What I do is I try to calm down, breath and pray in my mind. And you know when we LOVE our kids, UNDERSTAND them, give them time, listen to them, hold them, hug them, speak gently to them, they will listen back.

Easily said than done. I'm speaking to myself as well. But you know what, love never fails (1 Corinthians 13:8).

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY FELLOW MOMS!

Comments